What We Do
The research to be undertaken will be categorized in two broad areas:
- Research on a national and emerging international policies that have a bearing on workers, their families and communities.
- Research on contemporary issues, existing or that are emerging, that affect the welfare of NUM members and their communities, and impact on the effectiveness of NUM in fulfilling its mandate.
“To be a recognised Research Institute on matters pertaining to the socio-economic welfare of workers (and their communities) in the mining, energy and construction sectors in Southern Africa”.
The Institute’s major objective is to undertake research and analysis of substantive and primary issues affecting the welfare of workers in general, but especially workers in the mining, construction and energy sectors of South Africa. From the research done, it produces publications and recommendations that inform policies that have a bearing on the welfare of worker’s communities.
“To be a leading research institute on matters pertaining to the socio-economicwelfare of workers and their communities in the mining, construction and energy sectors in Southern Africa”.
- To undertake research and publications that influence policy and contributes to the socio-economic needs of workers and their communities.
- To build and maintain the capability and capacity of the organisation to deliver on its mandate
- To ensure the development and implementation of effective and efficient internal systems, processes and good corporate Governance practices
- To ensure prudent financial management and sustainability of the organisation
- To ensure that SATRI is strategically positioned with all relevant stakeholders
“As a research institute, we subscribe to the following values, which are embedded in our organisational culture”.
- Disseminate research findings to wider society in order to influence opinions, get constructive inputs and create visibility of the Institute within national and international research communities.
- Provide mentorship/ training opportunities to young people and novice researchers in undertaking applied research on issues relevant to the welfare and sustainable livelihoods of workers.
- Build and maintain the capability and capacity of the institute to deliver on its mandate.
- Ensure that SATRI is strategically positioned with all relevant stakeholders.